Main Article Content
Ivabradine, Arrhythmia, Atrial fibrillation, Ventricular rate, inus rhythm, Sinus rhythm
Background: Treating arrhythmia adequately is crucial to prevent cardiac morbidity and mortality. Previous studies report that ivabradine may increase the risk of atrial fibrillation; however, emerging evidence shows that the drug may have beneficial effect in treatment of arrhythmia. Purpose: The present research explored the clinical evidence regarding the clinical efficacy and safety of ivabradine to treat arrhythmias. Method: A comprehensive literature search was conducted using MEDLINE, EMBASE, Scopus, Google Scholar and Web of Science databases. Full text articles that report on the use of ivabradine in human subjects with arrhythmia are included. Studies not written in English language and those not published in the period between 2016 and May 2021 were excluded. Results and discussion: Eight articles were included in the current review after screening a total of 1100 articles. The studies depicted that ivabradine is effective in improving ventricular rate, heart rate, and sinus rhythm in atrial fibrillation and has limited or no side effects. In addition, the findings indicate that combining ivabradine with other medications is more effective for improving the ventricular rate and maintain sinus rhythm than when used alone. Conclusion: Ivabradine alone or in combination with other medications can therefore be used as a potential treatment for arrhythmias.
2. Caughey GE, Inacio MC, Bell JS, et al. Inclusion of older people reflective of real-world clinical practice in cardiovascular drug trials. J Am Heart Assoc. 2020;9(21):1-8. https://doi.org/10.1161/jaha.120.016936
3. Capucci A, Cipolletta L, Guerra F, et al. Emerging pharmacotherapies for the treatment of atrial fibrillation. Expert Opin Emerg Dr. 2018;23(1):25-36. https://doi.org/10.1080/14728214.2018.1446941
4. Chakraborty P, Rose RA, Nair K, et al. The rationale for repurposing funny current inhibition for management of ventricular arrhythmia. Heart Rhythm 2021;18(1):130-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrthm.2020.07.031
5. Gammone MA, Riccioni G, Massari F, et al. Beneficial effect of ivabradine against cardiovascular diseases. Front Biosci (Schol Ed). 2020;12(1):161-172. https://doi.org/10.2741/s545
6. da Silva RMFL, Borges ASR, Silva NP, et al. How heart rate should be controlled in patients with atherosclerosis and heart failure. Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2018;20(11):54. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11883-018-0757-3
7. Grubb A, Mentz RJ. Pharmacological management of atrial fibrillation in patients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction: review of current knowledge and future directions. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2020;18(2):85-101. https://doi.org/
8. Koruth JS, Lala A, Pinney S, et al. The clinical use of ivabradine. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70(14):1777-1784. https://doi. org/10.1016/j.jacc.2017.08.038
9. Tardif JC, O’Meara E, Komajda M, et al. Effects of selective heart rate reduction with ivabradine on left ventricular remodelling and function: results from the SHIFT echocardiography substudy. Eur Heart J. 2011;32(20):2507-2515. https://doi.org/10.1016/
10. Tendera M, Talajic M, Robertson M, et al. Safety of ivabradine in patients with coronary artery disease and left ventricular systolic dysfunction (from the BEAUTIFUL Holter Substudy). Am J Cardiol. 2011;107(6):805-811. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
11. Wongcharoen W, Ruttanaphol A, Gunaparn S, et al. Ivabradine reduced ventricular rate in patients with non-paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Int J Cardiol. 2016;224:252-255. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2016.09.044
12. Sathyamurthy I, Newale S. Ivabradine: Evidence and current role in cardiovascular diseases and other emerging indications. Indian Heart J. 2018;70(3):435-441. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ihj.2018.08.008
13. Chan CS, Lin YK, Chen YC, et al. Heart failure differentially modulates natural (sinoatrial node) and ectopic (pulmonary veins) pacemakers: Mechanism and therapeutic implication for atrial fibrillation. Int J Mol Sci. 2019;20(13):1-18. https://doi.
14. Page MJ, McKenzie JE, Bossyut PM, et al. The PRISMA 2020 statement: An updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews. Br Med J. 2021;372:1-9. https://doi.org/10.31222/osf.io/v7gm2
15. Ten Ham-Baloyi W, Jordan PJ. Systematic review as a research method in postgraduate nursing education. Health SA Gesondheld. 2016;21:12-128. https://doi.org/10.4102/hsag.v21i0.942
16. Jørgensen L, Paludan-Müller AS, Laursen DR, et al. Evaluation of the Cochrane tool for assessing risk of bias in randomized clinical trials: overview of published comments and analysis of user practice in Cochrane and non-Cochrane reviews. Syst Rev.
17. Tawfik GM, Dila KAS, Mohamed MYF, et al. A step-by-step guide for conducting a systematic review and meta-analysis with simulation data. Trop Med Health. 2019;47(46):1-19. https://doi.org/10.1186/s41182-019-0165-6
18. Higgins PT, Altmans DG, Gøtzsche PC, et al. JAC, Cochrane Bias Methods Group, Cochrane Statistical Methods Group. Br Med J. 2011;343(2):d5928. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.d5928
19. Fischer-Rasokat U, Honold J, Lochmann D, et al. β-Blockers and ivabradine differentially affect cardiopulmonary function and left ventricular filling index. Clin Res Cardiol. 2016;105(6):527-534. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00392-015-0950-0
20. Lee MC, Bond S, Wheeler D, et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover trial of the influence of the HCN channel blocker ivabradine in a healthy volunteer pain model: an enriched population trial. Pain. 2019;160(11):2554-2565.
21. Abdel‐Salam ZA, Nammas W. Atrial fibrillation after coronary artery bypass surgery: can ivabradine reduce its occurrence? J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2016;27(6):670-676. https://doi.org/10.1111/jce.12974
22. Verrier RL, Silva AF, Bonatti R, et al. Combined actions of ivabradine and ranolazine reduce ventricular rate during atrial fibrillation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2015;26(3):329-335. https://doi.org/10.1111/jce.12569
23. Fontenla A, López-Gil M, Tamargo-Menéndez J, et al. Ivabradine for chronic heart rate control in persistent atrial fibrillation. Design of the BRAKE-AF project. Revista Española de Cardiología (English Edition). 2020;73(5):368-375. https://doi.
24. Arvind B, Kothari SS, Juneja R, et al. Ivabradine versus amiodarone in the management of postoperative junctional ectopic tachycardia: A randomized, open-label, noninferiority study. JACC: Clinic Electrophysiol. 2021;7(8):1052-1060. https://doi.
25. Komajda M, Isnard R, Cohen‐Solal A, et al. Effect of ivabradine in patients with heart failure with preserved ejection fraction: the EDIFY randomized placebo‐controlled trial. Eur J Heart Fail. 2017;19(11):1495-1503. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejhf.876
26. Chobanyan-Jürgens K, Heusser K, Duncker D, et al. Cardiac pacemaker channel (HCN4) inhibition and atrial arrhythmogenesis after releasing cardiac sympathetic activation. Sci Rep. 2018;8(1):1-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-26099-